About

A collection of thoughts about nature, life, and trying to achieve my dreams.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"Summer blows away...

And quietly gets swallowed by a wave..."
-The Decemberists

For whatever reason, the Decemberists always remind me of winter. Maybe it's because I first discovered that I liked them during the winter; maybe it's the fact that they're called the "DECEMBERists," but their songs always make me think of brisk fall days and cold, rainy, rocky beaches with pounding waves.

That's not to say that I don't listen to them in the summer (quite the contrary- I find them to be great "cooldown" music if I've been out in the sun too long!), but I just find it interesting that even in songs that have no mention of seasons or weather, I always imagine a chilly northern town, and there are often clouds in the sky.

This, along with their generally melancholy lyrics, has caused me to feel really sad/wistful/nostalgic lately when I hear them, because they remind me that summer is almost over and it will soon be time to trade my aquarium-issued polo, khaki shorts, and tevas for scarves, hoodies, and cozy flannel shirts. I used to think that I was a "seasons" kind of person- enjoying the different weathers for their unique qualities, but I learned this past summer that I am much better adapted for warm-weather living than cold. I used to be the type that was always arguing with my mom about the temperature in the house- she being invariably cold, and wanting to turn off the A/C or at least turn up the temperature. But now, being in air conditioning makes me shiver, and I spent all day at work today with a long-sleeved shirt under my sleeveless polo, and long khaki pants in lieu of my usual shorts.

It makes me thankful that I had the wonderful foresight to book myself another 3-week neotropical excursion this winter, and I'm pretty sure I will only make it through the winter by clinging to this idea. Hopefully I'm wrong, and my body will re-adapt to the fierce winds and freezing temperatures of my college campus, but I think I'll be bringing along lots of scarves and hoodies to school, just in case.

I guess this post doesn't have much of a point, except to express my sadness at summer's passing. I'm excited for the new semester and the opportunities it will bring, but after experiencing such a magical summer, it's difficult to let go and let the wave swallow me, as well. For now, I'll be clinging to those rocky shores of summer until I have no choice but to surrender my grip and let the winter take me where it will.


Pico the Japanese Macaque (aka Snow Monkey), who is looking forward to winter much more than I am!





No comments:

Post a Comment